The digital marketing channels listed above are available for business owners to use independently or as part of an overall digital marketing campaign. The key here is to plan your campaigns well by taking careful considerations of some vital aspects as will be discussed below:
1. Define your primary company goals for using Digital Marketing channels.
Some of these goals that your business may be rooting for includes:
- Brand Awareness – This includes greater company or product name recall as well as familiarity with your business, brand, products and services. If this is your goal, you should make use of digital marketing channels that provide strong brand awareness and development like the following:
- Social media channels particular Twitter, Facebook and Google+.
- Engaging with targeted audience through social channels.
- Channels that promote visual elements like Instagram and Pinterest.
- Channels that promote video materials like YouTube and Vimeo.
- Promotional campaigns with coupons.
- Joint venture marketing projects with other online businesses.
- Participating in online and offline events.
- Sales Generation – Most businesses market their brands, products and services to generate sales through online channels. More and more people are getting comfortable with the concept of e-commerce and are now more open to the idea of purchasing products through online means. If you have an online store, and e-commerce site, or have products and services to sell online, the following channels can be used for digital marketing:
- Amazon Resellers
- Facebook Storefront
- Google Shopping Feeds
- Google Search Network
- Google Display Network
- Affiliate Marketing Networks
- Lead Generation – Many businesses make use of digital marketing mainly to generate leads and connect with potential customers. Generating leads for them is just the first step and they will follow through by communicating directly and engaging with these leads. Digital marketing channels that are good for lead generation includes:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising
- Display Advertising
- Google Search Network
- Blogging and other content marketing channels
- Email marketing
- Educate Potential Customers – Some businesses involve relatively new products and services that are very promising in their potential but still does not have an established market segment that are familiar or even knows that the product is already existing. Digital marketers in this segment should go for educating their targeted customers first, particularly in making them realize the importance of the products/services and the problems that they can resolve. Blogging, press releases and content marketing will be ideal for this purpose.
- Generate Traffic – Many websites do not really have something to sell and may in fact giving away information and other materials for free. Many of these sites however are publishers of online contextual and display advertising as a way of monetizing their sites. In order to generate revenue from these ads, websites will need a considerable amount of raw traffic that will click on these ads. Digital marketing channels appropriate for this includes SEO and content marketing.
2. Define your budget allocation.
Defining what digital marketing channels to use will also help identify the budget that you will set aside for pursuing these campaigns. Budget allocations may include the following:
- Fees for digital marketing manager and staff
- Paid advertising budgets
- Payment for content creation services
- Fees for graphic artists, photographers and videographers
3. Identify Your Available talent.
Maintaining a digital marketing campaigns will require the use of personnel with a certain level of skills and knowledge on various aspects of your channels. You need to identify these to establish if your in-house resources would be sufficient for the job or will there be a need for outsourcing. These skills should include:
- Development Skills – for your website design and development needs.
- Creative Skills – includes both writing and visual creation skills.
- Search Skills – talent needed for search marketing.
- Social Skills – talent needed for engaging potential customers through social media.
When establishing a Digital Marketing Campaign for your business, you cannot rely only on a single resource to generate all the results you wanted. While each of these digital marketing channels have their strengths, they also have their weakness such as being inappropriate for certain audiences and business niche. The best way would be to rely on combining these tools and channels at your disposal and making use of what they have to offer that will help you reach your end goals.